Friday 26 February 2016

Work in Progress..


I have been drawing a lot recently; this action gives me a soothing sense of making while I pondered over where I wanted to direct my project. One of my main objectives is to explore the relationship between gesture and vision.While researching on that, I discovered the artist Eric Conrad who seek sensation responses to the participants while involving technology. His research on waves and contemplation linking them with sensations/movement of the participant is so intriguing. (http://peripheralfocus.net/reading_a_wave/palomar.html) He claims that "The “mother of all senses”–touch is the sense which became differentiated into the others. The skin is the most ancient and largest sense organ of the body, yet few arts engage it directly. In his 1921 The Manifesto of Tactilism, Futurist Filippo T. Marinetti outlined a radical new “Art of Touch”". His ideas involving technology is in contrast from mine; however I am really interested in his bark rubbings and I have tried some of my own. I enjoyed the research obtained as the  sensation and impression changes while the speed and pressure of the pencil varies when making a rubbing over a texture.
 
 

I was reminded of the wrapping experiments of Caroline and did some of that too. I became more and more involved with playing with the idea of impression and creating the same sense of touch while in contact with the shells. 
The next experiment came out after much thought as I looked out for the best  material to "HOLD" these impressions. The best solution I found (until now) is soap as it is biodegradable;easy to hold (and also easily available) and the impressions are fabulous. Here is the experiment in pictures. I am planning to do more and to maybe present/associate them with the "Cabinet of Curiosities"..






No comments:

Post a Comment