Monday 29 September 2014

Testing Boundaries :mandalas..


Mandala (Sanskrit: मण्डल Maṇḍala, 'circle') is a spiritual and ritual symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism, representing the Universe. The basic form of most mandalas is a square with four gates containing a circle with a center point. Each gate is in the general shape of a T. Mandalas often exhibit radial balance.

I am attracted by the idea of "mandalas" for further investigation in my work: Testing Boundaries because I remember quite clearly when I was a child that mandala designs used to be drawn in most of the yards of people of Hindu faith. This was a practice brought from India by the Indian Immigrants and designs varied with mixtures of crushed rice and colours.  These works were famously known as "rangoli"


 This is an unfinished work on which I am planning to work more...

No comments:

Post a Comment