Saturday 20 September 2014

Testing Boundaries..


PROPOSAL.

Historical.
Mauritius has since long remained a green inhabited island. When finally discovered and colonised, slaves from Africa and Indian indentured labourers (my ancestors amongst them) were brought in (1847) to clear the island of its dense vegetation and for the plantation of sugarcane. Arab traders and Chinese immigrants also settled in for trade. The Indian workers,bringing their culture with them, used to have gatherings primarily for the recitation of the holy book and the propagation of the Hindi language and philosophy. Initially ,the gathering place was called the "baitka" and it existed all through the island.

 The "baitka" played a substitute to schools as there was none at that time. However, with the advent of schools and colleges, the "baitka" lost the purpose for which they were established. Their numbers started to decline drastically and today there are only a handful of them around the island. Apart from their primary original objective, they have diversified their activities and included amongst other things meditation, yoga classes and Indian classical dance.

Aim:
The aim of my project is to revive the nostalgia and give a glimpse of the essence that represented the concept of the "baitka". For the project that I am planning to do,I will be utilising concepts related to the people of that time: the dress code, the description of holy scriptures and books, letterings of Hindi languages and include actual happenings as forms and postures of meditation/yoga for example.
Remarks/Comments.
Out of the box/Comfort zone: Almost all of my exhibitions have been gallery related and this concept really appealed to me as I had also been thinking about how to bring my art to the public in general and really fitted the notion of space and composition that I had explored for my Year 1-Unit Essay.

 Chosen Place:
This is the actual building of the "baitka" of New-Grove (my locality) which was founded in 1932. I have been able to talk with the President and members who have given their consent for me to conduct my project at the "baitka". 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment