Thursday 21 January 2016

"Konokono"


 
"Konokono" is a sea creature that exists in Mauritius and in Rodrigues; the neighbouring Island of Mauritius. The species found in Rodriques is unique and it is quite common to see the shells of the "Konokono" lying on the beaches there. However, people of that place are not so interested in the shells: the "Konokono" is rather one of the delicacies of the place and its flesh is often served in salad.http://cuisine-cocovilla.blogspot.com/2014/05/salade-de-kono-kono.html I had the opportunity to taste it (when I was still non-vegetarian) and it is delicious. Its taste is close to the flesh of the Octopus;however, the "Konokono" is also known to be slightly hallucinogenic- I have my doubts on that; however together with a glass of wine and good food, the mood become joyful and festive.
I want to dwell on this aspect of how this shell seems to be unimportant to the people living in that region and so important to me. The fact that they are accustomed to see these shells makes them unimportant to its inhabitants; it is only its flesh that are of interest. The shells look common however while looking closer, they have a different texture from other shells that I have found. I like the colours too: there seem to be a palette of shades of  different colours: purple, red, brown and green. The french word "déguster" comes to my mind suddenly: to savour with the eye and to savour its taste..http://fran.cornu.free.fr/affichage/affichage_nom.php?id_espece=1653 Seafood is something very common on islands as it is easily available; however it is considered as delicacy for the foreigners. I also think of the word "excellence" which is often associated to "high cuisine" which is a form of art...

No comments:

Post a Comment