Saturday 14 June 2014

Personal Practice Plan: First Year Submission.


 

Updated version for submission.

 
Table of Contents

Contents                                                                                     Page
1.0 Evaluation of my practice                                                      1
2.0. In the contemporary context                                                 1
3.0 Aim                                                                                        1
4.0 Objectives                                                                              1
          4.1 Solo Exhibition                                                            2
          4.2 Quality                                                                         2
          4.3 Improve practice as Educator                                      3
          4.4 Versatility                                                                    4
5.0 Plan of 5-year period                                                             5
          5.1 Plan of Work                                                               5
6.0 Bibliography                                                                          6
7.0 Reference                                                                               6
 
1.0 Evaluation of my practice
There has been an unexpected change in my art practice that has come along with my MFA course quite recently.  I was expecting myself to turn to sculptural techniques for investigations and I surprised myself by turning to techniques that I was not expert at for example aquarelle, pen-and-ink, drawing, mixed media, collage.  I was in the mood for trial-and-error processes and what interested me was to free my imagination and to provide as many opportunities for happy accidents to influence the finished products. I used a variety of materials and processes in each work and my leitmotif lately has become: “to keep an open mind for change and to simply enjoy art.”
 
2.0 In the Contemporary Context
I see myself quite close to "the narrative" aspect in the contemporary context as I have always been intrigued by the different layers of storytelling.
My new concerns are now about mark-making, the notion of space and composition (two-dimensional/ three-dimensional aspects), layering, collage, fragmentation and deconstruction and to some extent, the question of when to call it a finished piece of work amongst others.
 
3.0 Aim

To set my personal guidelines for career development and enhancement in the short, medium and long term as an artist and an educator.

 
4.0 Objectives

I will be mainly concentrating my planning to achieve the following objectives:

 
1.     To have my solo exhibition
2.     To target quality in my practice
3.     To improve my practice as educator through inclusion of knowledge and skills learnt
4.     To move toward versatility by considering aspects which are not my specialities as an artist

4.1 Solo Exhibition
Rationale
I have participated in several group exhibitions but I feel now that I should move on for a solo exhibition.  I intend to realise this objective in the short term period.
Specific
This will help me to increase my confidence level and situate my current practice for further improvement and development in the future.
Measurable
I will get feedback and constructive criticism from peer fellow artists, critics, educators, students and the public in general.
Achievable
I will have to consider the financial implication, organisational aspect, space availability for exhibition, sponsorship if possible and a detailed plan of work with relevant time frame.
Realistic
As an artist, I feel that a solo is a stepping stone for my artistic career development and this will help to mould my current practice.
Time
I already have a collection of about 10 artworks and intend to produce and work on further 10 artworks within the next 2 years for the solo exhibition. 
 
4.2 Quality
Rationale
I will target quality in my practice and devote more time on experimentation and process.  I intent to achieve this objective as a gradual process as from now.
Specific
I will devote time to my current practice through keeping a journal /sketch book, track record, and documentation I will aspire to quality in everything-define and constantly re-define, re-adapt new parameters for me (be proactive and flexible, clarify ideas, confidence, find areas in need of improvement).
Measurable
I will stay informed /up-to-date through constant research and get informed judgement by creating an online platform of practising local artists. I will also be visiting studios/exhibition places.
Achievable
I will devote more time to my current practice and question/self-analyse its relevance at each stage of the process.
Realistic
The success of my whole practice and career development depends on quality development.
Time
I have already initiated steps to achieve quality development in my process as stated above.  As from now on, all my future works will depend on the action plan learning circle shown below which consists of planning, action, reflection, and learning.  However, this objective will be a gradual process which will most effective in the long term period after undergoing several action cycle.
Deep Listening and Action Learning | EARTH ROOTS & OPEN FIELDS
 
 
4.3 Improve practice as Educator
Rationale
Many of my students never get a chance to go to art museums or to travel to other countries, so I would like to enrich my instruction further so as to be in a better position to guide them. Also, this will enhance my contribution to the community at large.
Specific
I will increase student exposure and knowledge of a variety of artists, art movements and the arts of other cultures.
Measurable
Students will produce artwork inspired by artists and art styles that I have not taught about before. I will create and present new lessons and teaching resources in order to accomplish this goal.
Achievable
I will do research, create power points and other visual curricular materials to present to students.
Realistic
My own professional knowledge will increase. I will be applying knowledge and be able to self-analyse myself and enrich the existing local art curriculum.
Time
This objective is targeted to be achieved in the medium term period.

4.4 Versatility
Rationale
 I would like to explore other domains of interests. I believe that the contemporary artist has to be versatile in many aspects and working with other disciplines can help to build confidence in experimentation and investigation.
Specific
I will venture/explore other fields and discipline which are not my specialities such as photography and digital arts.
Measurable
After acquisition of knowledge and skills in the relevant fields, I will focus on the enrichment and development of my practice.  I will meet and communicate with artists in the fields on a regular basis to help improve and vary my practice.
Achievable
I will need to build knowledge in these fields by attending courses, research on the topic, meet artists in the relevant fields for skills and knowledge acquisition for subsequent practice in these fields.
Realistic
This objective will help me to be multi-faceted in other domains of art and increase my confidence, where I will be acquiring new skills and knowledge.
Time
The time frame will depend on several factors such as duration of the courses offered in the fields and availability of relevant artists.  This objective is targeted to be achieved in the long term period.
5.0 Plan of 5-year period
S/N
Objective
Term
Period
Organisation/Institutions
Individuals
Remarks
1
Solo Exhibition
Short
2 years
Ministry of Arts and Culture, Sponsors
Self
Financial and other implications involved
2
Quality
Short and Long
5 years
Exhibitions-Salon de Mai, Salon d’Eté, National Art Gallery
Platform of artists
Action Plan Learning Cycle
3
Improve practice as educator
Medium
3 years
My workplace
Students of my school
Help my students to learn about Art.
4
Versatility
Long
5 years
Institutions offering the courses in the field of specialities (Mahatma Gandhi Institute, University of Mauritius etc)
Artists in the fields
Acquire new skills and knowledge
 
5.1 Plan of Work
S/N
Objectives
Duration
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
1
Solo Exhibition
2 years
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2
Quality
5 years
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3
Improve practice as educator
3 years
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4
Versatility
5 years
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Slots
Period
 
1
March 2014 -August 2014
 
2
September 2014 to February 2015
 
3
March 2015 -August 2015
 
4
September 2015 to February 2016
 
5
March 2016 -August 2016
 
6
September 2016 to February 2017
 
7
March 2017 -August 2018
 
8
September 2018 to February 2019
 
9
March 2019 -August 2019
 
10
September 2019 to February 2019
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
6.0 Bibliography
       i.          Elkins J, 2002, Stories of Art, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group
 
7.0 Reference
       i.          Heartney E, 2013, Art & Today, Phaidon Press Ltd
     ii.          James N P, 2010, Interviews-Artists, Volume Two: Recordings 2010, Cv/Visual Arts Research Editions
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment