Saturday 14 June 2014

500 words about my Exploratory Project.


Exploratory Project.

As per my project plan, I experimented with a wide range of media and possibilities which included mark-making, painting, charcoal, collage (most specifically paper collage) and found objects(box files) evolving around the central idea of fragmentation and layering. Ideas were constructed, deconstructed and reconstructed using several iterative circles while concentrating on an intuitive response. I was also able to explore the notion of space and composition/the relationship of the 2D and the 3D by producing multiple pieces of painting and sculptures to act as a puzzle to the whole which will project different viewpoints at different angles to the viewer for a unique experience/appreciation.

Some possibilities were discarded as printing and pastels as I was most concerned to move on and to explore on the ideas emerging, on what I was discovering and on accidental effects.

Setting the scene



'Scribbles are products of a systematic investigation, rather than haphazard actions’.

John Matthews (1999), The Art of Childhood and Adolescence: The Construction of Meaning. London: Falmer (p. 19)

I started my Exploratory Project with Mark-Making (felt pens/coloured pencils) as this activity was to deal with the idea of making simple meaning through play and remaining truthful to what I was doing with what I was feeling and thinking. However, I feel now that this activity took another dimension as I seriously started to feel drawn to intricate patterns and complex designs. I feel that the whole of my project is in a way a subconscious personal search on the concept of ordering and even my collages are making sense to me as a form of mark-making.

I also explored paint and discovered/learnt a whole range of possibilities simply with colours. My experiments were rather small (A5 size) however, as I tried large canvas (A1), I was able to step back and appreciate the work from a distance which in a way enhanced the idea of depth.

I then tried the fragmentation stage of re-arranging/fracture/reconstruction (collage), which had much to do with risk-taking but also about calculation and problem-solving. Most of the time I would only move on when I was fully satisfied with what I was doing. At this stage I found out that I enjoyed being in control; of finding solutions to the multiple possibilities which I was encountering at each stage which in a way were unlimited.

The idea of the box was mostly about my combining fascination with viewpoints/space/composition in general and also about the boundaries of the two dimensional and three dimensional aspects (art and life). By unifying several pieces as a whole I was creating yet another way of layering/juxtaposition only through the display.

What I think could be a flaw in a way to this Exploratory Project is the fact that I became enthusiastic (and curious) about how these ideas would look as a finished work and moved accordingly towards this fact without exploring other possibilities, thus putting an end to process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment