Thursday 12 June 2014

Abstract to my unit essay.


 
The subject of my essay "Blurring Boundaries.. The Notion of Space in  Contemporary Art" is an outburst that has originated from my practical concerns about my Exploratory Project. I must say that I had a fair/brief idea about what my practical work could be about before the start of the Exploratory Project (I wanted to explore on some ideas which had originated from Task 1 and Task 2 and I was having an opportunity to do so). However, I also realised that in order to position myself in the contemporary context, I had to find ways to link  practice with theory, that is, with contemporary research and issues. At first, I didn't know how to go about for I was finding it hard to find influences from other contemporary artists/concerns.. I needed to do more academic research to understand where I  stood so as to be able move forward. All my friends from the OCA as well as the tutors Caroline and Angela and our visiting tutor Les Bicknell were a great help to me and I would like to thank them for that..
Learning about different theories and selecting aspects that could interest me was a very gradual process. Sometimes assimilating things can take time and I was learning at my own pace. I think to a great extent the book "Art and Today" (Heartney) became like a bible to me in the sense that I was really able to grasp things/abstract notions, etc in a clear/sensible manner. As a consequence, what I was doing practically started to make more sense to me now. I was able to make out the different options/possibilities that I had as well as being able to direct myself to contemporary concerns. In a way, I could create my own style from my influences and  I still feel that I have so much more to learn. I have almost completed the book, however I feel that now it has slowly become THE reference where I could start from. I feel less confused now and more confidence in many ways. This course has helped to reconnect to the art world in a complete form.
My concerns have in many ways evolved from the notion of creating compositions (and using space) by reaching out to the intuitive. My first task was concerned with doodles (which in itself is about subconscious working in space) and as a whole is a creative output rather than a representational work. The second task as well as the task for Making Day were concerned with layering, collage and the concept of deconstruction which are all concerned with spatial issues.
For my essay, I would like to point out that I took a long time figuring out what I was actually on and the revelation came to me when I discovered the artist Jessica Stockholder (amongst others of course). Her ideas about space and her ways of talking about it gave me an indication about what I really wanted to. Also, her notion about "three dimensional painting" (as discussed in the essay)  was exciting and I could see scope for venture there. I would like to point out also that my essay is in  an impersonal form as I wanted to bring forth the ideas that I could now fully grasp and discuss about them in an academic piece of writing. All the artists discussed were carefully selected because I can relate to them and most importantly, they are the ones to whom I am  most impressed with at the moment. Hence, I wanted to work out on an essay where I could be critical of the subject as well as applying knowledge learnt. I consider my essay to be an integral part of the Exploratory Project, the theory part, the part where I could discuss what others were thinking and to what extent I could situate myself in the contemporary context. I also feel that I am on the verge of creating a  particular style which I could be calling my own soon. I think time will tell me more about that and as Angela says "making leads to more making", so I will have to concentrate more on that.... 






    

No comments:

Post a Comment