Sunday 5 October 2014

Testing boundaries: Second Visit and Third Visit.


Following my conversation with Les, I decided that it was most important to feel the place(and its people) to look out for its "essence" in some way. I think that Les has thought of a most appropriate solution as being with the people in its actual time can trigger ideas in the most unexpected way which can turn out to be original and creative.
My second visit was during the night time on Wednesday where there was a religious gathering concerning the "Govinden Puja" (veneration of God Krishna). A magnificent lamp was lighted in the middle of the place on a "mandala" made up of crushed rice and colours. This traditional lamp was really eye catching and beautiful. I had noticed before too an elaborated lamp was lighted and I think that each time they open the place they light a lamp to represent positive energy and victory of good over evil.. I did not stay long (only for about thirty minutes) but I think I have gathered enough materials to start on something..


I had a fruitful third visit on Saturday where an Indian Classical dance class was full on. I was able to talk to the dancers and they gracefully posed for some of my sketches. I also took some notes and even tried some steps myself. I had the chance to see the dancers with their traditional costumes and they were preparing for a performance. Here are some of my sketches..

Reflections..
I have been collecting bits and pieces and I now feel that I can start with some serious paint work. Several ideas have emerged from this process and I feel confident about what I can do.. 


Sketch made after the dancers have had their facial make-up (with quite heavy traditional jeweleries). Facial expressions (especially the eyes were most significant).




The traditional lamp...

No comments:

Post a Comment