Thursday 7 April 2016

Important Breakthrough Today.

I have made some important decisions today after my meeting with Annabel.
1st and most important decision: I THINK MY PART OF THE OCA EXHIBITION WILL CONSIST SOLELY OF SOAP SCULPTURES. The paintings, drawings and other ideas will have to be the supporting work. I think my soap sculptures that I am making now are good enough to stand alone for an exhibition. I think my paintings are good too; however I am eliminating them because they are not making a whole with what I am doing now..( I am getting over the idea of creating a bulk of work to fill an entire gallery space!!!(only temporarily..))
2nd: I am having lots of ideas about how to display them and I have also made a breakthrough into them: the idea of the Vitrine/Cabinet is definitely out as I want people-viewers to touch my sculptures.. Here I am thinking of bringing the touching/sensational feel/memory when I was at the beach as a form of sharing (one of my objectives). I can still hold on to the idea of the museum though without the Cabinet and Charles Avery is yet another discovery (thanks Annabel); my personal museum of memories and feelings. I like the idea of people handling the sculptures; they have a kind of fragility that I have often found with the shells- the "brokenness" of the shells lying on the beach,the effects of Death but also the effect of Nature and Time on Objects..handling the sculptures will definitely lead to their broken state..
3rd: I AM NAMING MY WORK. An important decision. An important breakthrough. By naming my work, I am linking/associating ideas. I wanted to associate ideas about the past;about the history of colonialisation linked with the Islands of the Indian Ocean. I have finally opted for: English Bay, Rodrigues Island... 2004-2006 

Rodrigues Island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigues) Historically, Rodrigues and Mauritius had both been colonised several times and English Bay ( also known as Anse-Aux-Anglais)was the small village near the sea where I stayed when I went there to teach for two years. There are personal memories linked there: "the essence of that experience"..my work hence represents all the shells I have collected throughout my life but also the essence of the experience of my living there and being  near the sea...a ritual/cycle/journey of bringing the past/memories back to the British "coloniser"(at the Gallery)?

No comments:

Post a Comment