Sunday 10 April 2016

Artist's Statement (Introduction-revisited)

I live on the small island of Mauritius and it is and has always been a huge part of who I am. Throughout my life I have collected shells daily and I always keep them in the pockets of my clothes. Walking on the beach, picking up shells and feeling them has been part of a meditative emotional process in my life for as long as I can remember. 

The works I present are a collection of tactile shapes that are made out of soap. With each touch the forms change, smooth and reduce. By trying to keep hold of the physical embodiment of my everyday emotions I am losing them at the same time.

The title of this series of sculpture refers to my life viewed as a museum collection, referring to a particular time of my life, as well as the colonial history of the islands I have lived on.

No comments:

Post a Comment