Sunday 27 March 2016

Video Filming: The offering


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI_QDIP_czk

“Is it art if someone says it is?  What makes us value an object as a work of art?  Is it physical appearance alone?  Its aesthetic effect?  Is it rarity?  If diamonds were as plentiful as sand what would we make of them”  John Foster

After our group discussion on Contextual Essay; I found out that sometimes things that are so important to me might not be that interesting to others. However, I do feel I was doing something not to please others. I think this is the first time I could say that I was feeling totally free in my art; totally right. I am doing something that matters to me. I am also feeling that there is a sort of potentiality lurking which would show in its due time. One of the main ideas discussed by some was the WHY?  . Some people were not understanding the why of choosing things over the others (as the beach specifically;the shell specifically;the soap specifically,etc). 
The aim at the start was thinking about to make art using natural resources that was available in my environment. However, choosing this idea above others was the fact that the beach is THE place that has always been present in my life. I have childhood memories of staying at the bungalows next to the sea when relatives came to visit. These memories are happy memories. In my teens, I used to stay the night on the beach with my cousins. We used to lay on the beach and watch shooting stars. These memories are very precious to me as we are now so busy with our family life that we have drifted apart somewhat. During my University years, going to the beach was the reward after long hours of work. And my first work experience as a teacher led me to Rodrigues where I was living in a small house next to the Anse-aux-Anglais beach for two years. Rodrigues being the Island reputed for its kind people, I had the opportunity to stay long hours outside without any fear of assault or anything. I would just gaze the Sea at sunset. I think my experiences are important. They made into who I am now.
As for Choosing Shells, people who are close to me would know that I have always been collecting shells throughout my life. Shells was the ultimate thing to turn to. There was the idea about it being "beautiful", however, there was also the idea about it being linked to me on a personal level. On the critical level, some argued that shells are "common" (there is a kind of "the mundane" in what I was doing..) Hmm, I think I have to digest that and keep in mind: What is precious to me can be mundane to others!
And the project diverged somewhat with myself feeling the deep fear of losing my father. With my father being so ill, looking after him became my priority. Should this aspect be more highlighted in my statement as some suggested? 
Finally my choosing the soap material over others. What made me choose this material over others? I think I wanted to bring in things to my studio where I would work on when I was free. I collected the shells and brought them there. The Studio is a small room in my house. However, after the sketches, I looked for accessible materials and soap was one of them. It was organic in a sense and I wanted that organic element to remain. I also liked the idea of a functional object changing into something else. Objects are fascinating as study. I did not want to use the shell as I felt I had to return them to the place where they belong. These decisions were made on the spur of the moment however, they were important decisions.  One of the main reason behind the soap was the carving element which was important too. I related that to an Art Therapy process. Everything started from the intuitive and the process went on like this from one step to another. I have adopted an attitude of not asking too many questions on the why? .
At last, WHY not choosing Land Art? I don't know. I feel what I am doing at the Studio is more important. I do not want to stick to one particular mode of operating and this has always been my priority for my MA. I want to mix things up and see what happens: drawings, paintings, sculpture, performance.. 
The video was an experiment as well as a performance which I enjoyed. WHY did I do it? Do I really have to answer that? I felt it was a thing to do. Some people asked me: WHAT NEXT? I think life would be so boring if every move was to be planned..Am I taking too much risk for an important exhibition ahead? Time will tell..

No comments:

Post a Comment